Honest Review: Holo Taco Nail Polish by Simply Nailogical

Monday, April 19, 2021

 I know I'm late to the party but I finally had the chance to try Holo Taco, which is the nail polish brand owned by Christine of Simply Nailogical on YouTube. I actually made my own YouTube video with the funny story about how I got my hands on the polishes I'm sharing today in my blog post. You can check it out here on the Streets Ahead Style YouTube channel (the video also includes live swatches and my thoughts in case you're not in the mood for reading today). 

I thought it would be fun to share my honest opinion on Holo Taco as someone who has been wearing and loving holo(graphic) nail polishes for the better part of a decade (I think I tried my first holo in 2012. It was one of the Color Club Halo Hues - remember when they first came out?). I'm not new to the holo game so if you're interested to see my swatches of Holo Taco and read my thoughts, read on...





This vibrant cherry red linear holographic is called Red Licorice and it was completely opaque in two coats. The Holo Taco linear holo formula is very smooth and easy to work with. If you wanted, you could get away with one coat because it was that opaque. These stamp well and are perfect for doing gradient nails. The linear holographic flame is very strong and you get a ton of rainbows in direct light. I did not find that top coat dulled the holo at all either. I will note that with all of the linear holos you will want a good base coat as the polishes are extremely pigmented and might stain your nail. This is so bright and cheerful!

Holo Taco Red Licorice swatch

Holo Taco Red Licorice swatch

Next up is Holo Taco Purple Slushie and it is a purple lover's dream. Again, a very smooth formula that is totally opaque in two coats but provides full coverage in just one coat. I love the rubberized cap on Holo Taco polishes because it makes application easier and more accessible for people with dexterity challenges. The linear holo flame seemed especially rainbow-y in Purple Slushie. I wanted to just acknowledge how much I love the whole Holo Taco bottle. The Holo Taco logo looks amazing on the bottle and produces its own rainbows in the sunlight. 

Holo Taco Purple Slushie swatch


Holo Taco Purple Slushie swatch

Holo Taco Purple Slushie swatch

And last, but not least, of the linear holos I tried is Holo Taco Blue Freezie which is the most mesmerizing blue linear holo ever. Generally, I love blues and this one does not disappoint. I found this one the most prone to staining so I would recommend doubling up on base coat for this one. It looks like the most beautiful deep blue ocean water. I will note that the brush on Holo Taco polishes is quite thin so if you've gotten used to the paddle brushes then this will be like going back to China Glaze brushes. They are very thin. It doesn't affect the application but it's something I had to get used to. But just look at the rainbows!

Holo Taco Blue Freezie

Holo Taco Blue Freezie

Holo Taco Blue Freezie

Holo Taco Blue Freezie

Holo Taco Midnight Spark is a little different than the linear holos. This one isn't a linear holo but rather a jelly (I think) base filled with different holographic glitters. This one was opaque for me in two coats. It did need two coats of top coat to smooth it out as it is quite gritty from all the glitters but, my oh my, do they sparkle! The holo glitters are really special and twinkly. It seems appropriate that this was a holiday collection because they are sparkly like holiday lights. This did not give me any issues with staining because the base is less pigmented than the linear holos. Another super happy polish and I really loved. I can't say if I preferred the linear holos or this formulation more. I really liked both for different reasons. I think Midnight Spark gives more of a twinkling holo effect with lots of rainbows across the nail but the linear holos give a true line of rainbows. Different holos for different folks!

Holo Taco Midnight Spark swatch

Holo Taco Midnight Spark swatch

Holo Taco Midnight Spark swatch

Can you tell I'm smitten with Holo Taco? I didn't expect to like the brand a much as I do but I really do! As a longtime holo lover, Holo Taco more than stacks up! I do wish they were slightly less pigmented because I don't love worrying about staining but, at the same time, that's what makes these polishes so perfect for stamping or gradients. It's a trade off but I think the high pigment load makes them more versatile than the average holo. Overall, two sparkly thumbs up from me! So, have you tried Holo Taco? Have I changed your mind? I would love to hear in the comments.

Post a Comment

© Caitlin Swatches - indie nail polish blog. Design by FCD.